“She looks well to the ways of her household….” Proverbs 31:27
I am sure that all of us can admit that, at some point in our lives, we dreamed of being a princess and eventually a queen. We dreamed of running a castle and having everything we ever wanted. What little girl doesn’t?! Well, your dream came true when you met your prince charming and began to care for him! Then, your job got bigger, when the little ones began to arrive. Yes, you are a queen. The queen of the home!
Just like every queen, you have been given a duty. The job of looking out for the welfare of your family and their souls. This is a huge responsibility and must be one that we hold high. While, yes, our husbands are the ultimate leaders of the home, we help them monitor what comes in and out of the fortress. We are able to see more of the daily ins and outs of the home, while the king is away. Our children, tend to be more open with us and therefore, we can learn more about their interests. We are to make the home a castle of protection for them.
The world will always be a place of temptations, vices, and evil. It belongs to our greatest enemy! Therefore, we must be on guard and observant of what comes through our doors.
What are some ways to do this? Here are a few examples.
- Watch the use of the television!– This is a big one! The TV can be our biggest way in which the world enters. It has a way of entrancing us and in taking our children’s attention. It is sneaky, at times, and we may not even catch what the movie or show is teaching us. A good rule to have is, if Jesus was in the room, would you watch it? This will take out a lot of what you watch. Now, I am not saying that you should ban the television from your home or only watch corny Christian films. However, you need to be mindful of the content of the film or show that you and your children are watching. If the lesson is morally unsound, you should probably stop encouraging it.
- Watch the use of the internet– This is another huge one! The internet is a blessing, in many ways. We are able to look things up in an instant, obtain useful ideas and information, and become knowledgable in many things. However, the internet is also a place of the world. It is full of things that are evil and, unfortunately, these evils are very accessible. Children should be monitored on it! They can very easily, loose their beautiful innocence with just one click. A good way for you to always be aware of it, is to have the computer in a place that everyone can see it. You can easily walk by and see what your child and husband are looking at. This goes for all electronics. Phones, if your children have one, should be very easily accessible and should not be connected to the internet.
- Books– Yes, books can be harmful! There are countless books out there that are wonderful! I am an avid reader, myself, and am obtaining my own library. However, books can also be bad. They can teach many things. From how to behave to what to believe. Fiction books, also should be monitored. Our children love them, but sometimes the story lines are corrupt. Many parents use the excuse, “Well, at least they are reading” or “They won’t read anything else”. If that is true, then show them what to read and explain why they don’t need to read certain materials.
- Friends- This is extremely important! The people who you, your children, and husbands hang out with affect you. Either for the better or for the worse. Having upright friends is an excellent way in which we can better ourselves. We see how they can help us on our road to salvation. However, if the people we socialize with are morally corrupt, then we can easily fall under their examples. Our children, especially, are easily influenced and who they play or hang out with will affect how they grow up.
- Music– I could write an article on this alone! Music is extremely influential! It is also a huge part of our world. In some ways, I think that the devil uses this, more than we think, to gain souls. Humans, naturally, are drawn to music. Our brains can learn words to a song, faster than they can if we just read them. Tunes are catchy! We can have a song in our head for a few days! This means that we need to be aware of what we are singing and/or listening to. A lot of the modern music is full of sin and blasphemy. If you really sit down and read what you are singing along to, it might surprise you and make you not want that song in your head. Music can be a beautiful thing and a way to praise Our Lord. However, it can also be a tool of the enemy and is another thing that must be monitored in the home.
Our homes need to be fortresses of peace, joy, and most importantly, fear of the Lord. They need to be places of refuge for those that dwell in them. This is one of our greatest tasks as mothers and wives. We must take this seriously and ask for the Lord’s guidance in this endeavor.
“Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that in due time he may exalt you….Be sober, be watchful. Your adversary, the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking for someone to devour.” ~ 1 Peter 5:6-8